Rely on our professional academic writers and forget about missing deadlines. All custom papers are written from scratch.
Order a Similar Paper
Order a Different Paper
Microaggressions are a part of interpersonal communication, but all too often we fail to notice them, ignore them, or otherwise repress our responses, building unresolved tensions. “Micro” means small and “aggression” involves hostile actions or attitudes. Microaggressions are often present in defensive climates, and in order to help cultivate supportive climates we need to learn how to recognize, and address, these important elements of interpersonal communication. For example, let’s look at the statements “You are fit for a man of your age” and “You are beautiful for a woman of your age.” On one level, both are compliments. However, the words “of your age” qualifies, and effectively reduces or even contradicts, the compliment. The emphasis on age in this example introduces an element of prejudice or bias that can be interpreted as a microaggression. Many microaggressions are nonverbal and may be hard to spot at first. In order to help you learn how to identify, and respond to, microaggressions, watch this video:
Laureate Education (Producer). (2016). Is it a microaggression? [Interactive media]. Baltimore, MD: Author. Retrieved from https://mym.cdn.laureate-media.com/2dett4d/Walden/…
The first step to reverse a defensive climate is to identify the elements that make it defensive. Then it is important to consider how to model the behavior you want to observe in the supportive climate. Finally, learning to address microaggressions in the moment, recognizing someone might not even be aware of their prejudice or bias, is an important part of effective interpersonal communication. Conflict is often an element in our interactions, and it is how we handle it that sets us apart as competent communicators.
To prepare for this Assignment:
- Read the Communication Program Professional Writing Guidelines.
- Read “Chapter 6, Section 3: Emotions and Interpersonal Communication.”
- Read “Chapter 7: Communication in Relationships.”
- Review the 11 scenarios provided in the link to the Laureate media video on aggression.
- Analyze your own experiences or those you have observed with microaggressions. Choose one to write about in your Assignment.
By Day 7
Write a 1- to 2-page paper that answers the following:
- Describe the communication climate between the two people at the time of the interaction. What are some factors that were present?
- Describe the specific interaction, including who were the participants, what was said or expressed, where it took place, when did it occur, and, in your estimation, why did it happen and how was it resolved?
- What changes to the communication could have improved the interaction, and why?
- What are some tips you would give to help avoid these types of scenarios in the future?
Please Note: Be sure to reference at least one scholarly or popular source to support your answer(s).
Needs help with similar assignment?
We are available 24x7 to deliver the best services and assignment ready within 3-4 hours? Order a custom-written, plagiarism-free paperOrder Over WhatsApp Place an Order Online