Background: After the Second World War, the US
embarked on what came to be known as the Cold War against the Soviet Union.
Although the two sides never fought against each other directly, the Cold War
nonetheless erupted into violence at times in places like Vietnam, Korea, and
Afghanistan. As the US grew more activist and interventionist in its foreign
policy, the domestic government also grew in power and in its role in the
Resources: When responding to these
prompts, draw from the material in ONE of the following videos:
- Hawksworth, R., Hogan, H., & Spencer, S.
(Writers). [Television series episode]. In R. Hawksworth
(Executive producer), America in the 20th Century. Chicago, IL: Media
Rich Communications, LLC. Available from
- Isbouts, J., & Johnson, B. D. (Writers), & Johnson, B.
D. (Director). (1999). [Television series episode]. In J. Florescu, J. Isbouts, & B. D.
Johnson (Executive producers), Inside the Cold War with Sir David
Frost. Los Angeles, CA: Porchlight Entertainment. Available from
- Wattenberg, B. (Writer). (2000). [Television series episode]. In A. Walworth (Executive producer),
The First Measured Century: The Other Way of Looking at American
History. Arlington, VA: PBS. Available from
Also, draw from the material in TWO of
the following documents:
- Byrne, M. (Ed.). (2000). Retrieved
- Eisenhower, D. (1961, Jan. 17). Retrieved from http://www.vlib.us/amdocs/texts/ddefarew.html
- Herberg, W. (n.d.) [Excerpt].
Retrieved from http://personal.ashland.edu/~jmoser1/herberg.htm
- Johnson, L. (1964, Aug, 5). Retrieved from
- Kennedy, J. (1962, Oct. 22). . Modern History Sourcebook. Retrieved from
- Kissinger, H. (1969, March 8). . Retrieved from
- Nixon, R. (1974, Aug. 8). . Retrieved from
- Potter, P. (1965). . Retrieved from
- Schlesinger, A. M. (1949). [Excerpt]. Retrieved from
- United States Congress. (1973, Nov. 7).. Retrieved from
Instructions: After reviewing your Instructor’s Guidance
and completing the weekly reading assignments (including those in the resource
section below), please post a substantive discussion post of at least 200 words
that analyzes BOTH U.S. Cold War Policy AND the impact that the Cold War had on
U.S. society, using the following questions as the basis of your analysis:
- Why did the Cold War start and how did it develop over its first three
- How did different presidential administrations, from Truman to Nixon handle
Cold War affairs?
- How did these approaches affect foreign policy?
- How did the Cold War lead to changes within American society and culture?
Your initial post should be at least 200 words in
length. Support your claims with examples from the required material(s) and
properly cite any references. You may use additional scholarly sources to
support your points if you choose.