For assignment length, estimate between 2000-2500 words (about 4-5 pages, double spaced).
Objective: Review a public health profile data available from County web sources (or other sources as useful, see Sources below) to identify 3-to 5 health warning signs for the community they select. Health warning signs are any indication of a health need that is not currently being met OR a negative impact on health that is continuous and persistent. Some typical health warning indicators include childhood obesity, limited physical activity and nutrition, tobacco use, inadequate housing, environmental injustice (excessive exposure to pollution), reproductive health, mental health, sexually transmitted infections, and access to healthcare.
Instructions:1. Identify a community of interest. This can be where you live or work or otherwise of interest to you, or a location outside the U.S. (home country, country of origin, etc.).2. Locate a published “health profile” for the city/community you select. In the United States, county governments are the primary source for developing and managing community health profiles. Some large cities compile their own data. County sources often (but not always) disaggregate data to the city/community level. If you are unable to locate data disaggregated to the city/community level, county-level data will be fine.
Los Angeles County: http://publichealth.lacounty.gov/ohae/cchp/healthProfilePDF.htm
- Scroll to search bar to locate city, or scroll further to the hyperlinked alphabetical list.
- For data tables on an broad array of health indicators measured by cities in the county, see here: http://publichealth.lacounty.gov/ohae/cchp/healthIndicator.htm
San Bernardino County: https://wp.sbcounty.gov/dph/data/
- Community Vital Signs 2020 Report: https://wp.sbcounty.gov/dph/wp-content/uploads/sites/7/2021/04/SBCCVS__OCVS_Report20_v5.1.pdf
- Orange County: https://www.ochealthiertogether.org/tiles/index/display?id=97819728243871439
- Ventura County: https://www.healthmattersinvc.org/
- Los Angeles County: http://publichealth.lacounty.gov/ohae/cchp/healthProfilePDF.htm
3. Review the health profile for the county/city you select. Identify 3-5 indicators that help you focus a sense of health need(s) you find relevant/interesting/pertinent. Explore any additional county web sources that describe current community health initiatives.
4. Write summary of each of the 3-5 indicators you select. Identify and explain how the indicators you selected inform you about what health needs call for more attention/initiative/resources than any they are currently receiving.