Self-Assessment of Interpersonal Communication Competencies
In this assignment, you will evaluate your interpersonal communication skills and set specific goals for developing them.
No matter how good we are at communicating with others, we all have areas of communication that we would like to improve. By setting specific goals during Week 1, you will be able to apply the principles that you are learning to your own communication experiences and work on developing your own interpersonal improvement plan to encompass the personal, academic, and professional areas of your life.
As a self-assessment and improvement plan exercise, identify at least two goals (one professional and one academic) and assess the reality of the goals that you have set. Based on your assessment of the goals, create a 2- to 3-page Microsoft Word document, addressing the following questions:
- What is your goal statement? (Note: Your goal statement should be concise and positive. For example, write what you will do rather than what you will not do.)
- How far are you from attaining these goals?
- Are the goals set too high or too low? Why? How could you rewrite your goals so that they are not set too high or low?
- How long will it take you to attain these goals?
- If the goals will take a long time to attain, could you set smaller goals that you could attain while still working toward your bigger goals?
- How will you benefit from successfully attaining your goals?
- What strengths do you already possess as an interpersonal communicator?
- What aspects of your own interpersonal communication skills would you like to improve? Why?
- What areas of online learning would you like to improve to help succeed academically?
- What areas of your interpersonal communication would you like to improve from your career perspective?