Please read the following case study details. Then answer the questions below.
You are a nurse working in labor and delivery at a nearby hospital. Your patient has been assessed at triage and now admitted to your unit. The information provided below was provided to you by the triage nurse.
Kristen is a 17 G1P0 who is pregnant carrying her first child. Her boyfriend has recently decided he doesn’t think the baby is his and is demanding a paternity test be done at delivery. Kristen is now 36 weeks pregnant and her baby is measuring small and have been watching fetal growth closely.
Kristen is crying and states, “I started having contractions a few hours ago and they keep getting stronger! I’m not supposed to have my baby right now! It’s too early!”
Chicken pox as a child.UTD on all immunizations. Tonsils removed 2013.
DOB: 12/31/2005NKDABlood type: O negativeRubella: Non-ImmuneHIV: NegativeHSV: DeniesHepatitis: NegativeHeight: 5’7Weight: 170 lbs. First day of LMP: 6/13/2002
G-1 T-0 P-0 A-0 L-0 G-1 P-035 weeks 2 days gestationDilation: 5cmEffacement: 50%Station: 0 Cervix softVertex presentationProminent pubic boneAnterior placenta
Utilizing the 5 P’s listed below, please explain how Kristen’s labor and delivery might be affected based on the information provided.
- Psychological response
Please interpret the provided segment of FHT’s and analyze each finding to evaluate if this is a reassuring sign or not:
- Baseline fetal heart rate:
- Baseline variability:
- Periodic baseline changes:
- Based on your findings, what is the likely cause for this type of deceleration to occur? (Discuss)
- What do you think the priorities of nursing care are for Kristen? What nursing interventions are needed at this time?
- Kristen is unsure of what type of pain control she is wanting, but her pain is getting worse and an informed decision needs to be made soon. Pretend I am Kristen and discuss 2-3 different options/techniques utilized to assist with pain control during labor for BOTH a medicated labor and a non-medicated labor.
- Add a question: After you have analyzed the content from the discussion board, please add a question to the end of your initial post regarding the reading material for the week.
Please be sure to validate your opinions and ideas with citations and references in APA format.