Behavior Change Paper
THIS WILL BE TURNED IN USING, Turnitin.
This paper will expand on the case study and theoretical applications you discussed in module 3 discussion (M3D1) In the paper you will incorporate evidence-based research and practices in the promotion of positive behavior change to a negative health behavior.
This 5 – 7 page paper, not including title page or reference page, is to include a minimum of 3 peer-reviewed journal articles, government and health organization research, literature and current texts/readings found in the Excelsior College library. Make sure to identify each section clearly.
- TITLE Page: write a title that includes the benefit to the client or customer in the title.
Example: “Case Study: How an Experienced Marathoner Set a New Personal Best at Boston.”
See following link for APA format for title page https://owl.purdue.edu/owl/research_and_citation/apa_style/apa_formatting_and_style_guide/general_format.html (Links to an external site.)
- Introductory Paragraph: Identify your client (case study from M3D1), what behavior is being addressed, and purpose of the paper.
- Case Study: In 2 – 3 paragraphs (500 words), write an interesting story about your client. Include your client’s fictional name, age, sex, gender, lifestyle, when they first started the negative health behavior, reasons if any for this, and their current situation and goal(s). Describe how lifestyle, culture, diversity, and behavior decisions influence your client’s health behavior choice(s). (CO1 & 4)
- Current Situation vs Desired Outcome: Provide a clear description of the client’s problem. Describe the desired outcome – what COULD be, compared to what IS. Explain why this matters to your client. (CO6)
Application of Theoretical Model: Select one of the following models. Briefly describe the components of the model and how it can be applied to your client. Describe how you would apply this model to address the specific aspects of your client’s health issue. (CO3) Support your recommendations with references to theoretical framework, evidence based practices and other findings.
- Ecological Perspective
- Trans-theoretical Model
- Health Belief Model
- Self-determination theory
- Motivating Coaching Plan: Using the SMART approach to goal setting (refer to Chapter 5 of the text) create 2-5 motivational goals to assist your client to achieved their desired outcomes. Support your recommendations with references to theories, evidence-based practices, and other findings in the research.(CO2, 5)
- Concluding paragraph: Describe why you believe this approach would work. Discuss what you learned from this assignment and its importance based on the course outcomes
Suggestions for writing a case study using the SNACK/BITE/MEAL approach. By using this technique to build your paper it allows the paper to flow well. Here is a brief example of this approach:
SNACK: a brief headline regarding your client: Laura sets a new personal best at Boston!
BITE: one or two sentences that summarize the content in this section: Laura sets a new personal best at Boston, thanks to the pre-race checklist we developed and a balanced approach to fueling!
MEAL: a paragraph or two providing more detail for the seriously interested reader: Laura sets a new personal best at Boston, thanks to the pre-race checklist we developed and a balanced approach to fueling! This was accomplished by zeroing in on these items during the six months leading up to the event. Two things really made the difference at Boston. Having a pre-race checklist, learning a relaxation technique, adding some protein and fat to the pre-race meal of pasta, and taking water every 30 minutes during the race
Behavior Change Paper THIS WILL BE TURNED IN USING, Turnitin. This paper will expand on the case study and theoretical applications you discussed in module 3 discussion (M3D1) In the paper you will in
My clients name is Binita, a 26 year old female from Nepal who currently work in the IT field for a bank in Dulles, Texas. She is a divorced woman and has been pretty successful living on her own. She currently is in an unhealthy, on and off relationship and is beginning to realize she is stressing over this gentlemen a bit too much which causing a gap in her normal lifestyle. She is dealing with toxic stress which also enables her to be drinking more than usual. Therefore, she has been unable to focus on her personnel goals although she is still doing well at work. Reason she has not moved on from this human she is seeing, is because she had been dating him for about 3 years and they realized they are not right for one another. Unfortunately, they both refuse to see that they are not meant for one another and keep trying over and over again. Every break up causes her to drink and avoiding her personnel goals which is to purchase a second home for investment purposes. Her family is concerned for her well being but she constantly avoids the advice given to her. She has been putting too much effort in this relationship and wishes to seek counseling to mitigate this to keep happening. Binita seems to be a bit lost and confused to what direction she wants to take. She needs reassurance to realize what her real purpose is. She doe snot need to be told what she needs to do, because she already knows, what she needs help with is how to let go of what’s holding back to launch forward. It is clear that Binita is ready for the preparation and action stages since she has the goal and now needs to focus on them. The most influential layer in the Ecological Perspective Model that pertains to Binita is the Intrapersonal layer. Here, she will teach herself to build better habits by breaking the old ones that are holding her down. Her relationship has really held her back because it is not healthy. The second layer to have great influence is Interpersonal. Friends and family will continue to influence Binita to push away from the toxicity and to move on to achieve her goals as she continues her journey. Binita knows what is holding her back and why she must let go. She has envisioned a goal prior to meeting her boyfriend, and is not doing terrible at her full time job. She realizes that she can not hang on to someone that is not supporting her to excel buy the homes she wishes to. In our readings it mentions the The health belief model and motivation for behavioral change. She has to believe the process for her well-being and become sure of herself on how well she wants to continue with her career and self-development. Reference: Brehm, B. (2014). Psychology of Health and Fitness. Philadelphia, PA: FA Davis.